A couple of weeks ago, a very dear friend asked me to make her a pink chemo cap to replace the one she’d worn out. I was honored, of course, and went right to Hobby Lobby to grab a couple skeins of my favorite wearable cotton yarn, I Love This Cotton. I used the pattern for the Olivia Preemie Hat as a design base for this adult-sized beanie, and added a 5 Petal Tropical Flower as a finishing touch.
Prefer a PDF?
This pattern is also available as an ad-free, printable PDF! And if you love PDFs, you might want to check out my All Access Pass. It’s an awesome deal! (Or, scroll down for the free version!)
One Size Fist Most (Preteen – Adult Woman).
Hat measures 10” across the bottom of the band, and is 7.5” tall.
- H hook (5.005mm)
- Yarn needle
- 140 yards of Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Cotton (shown in “Pink” with a contrasting round in “White”)
- Stitch marker (a bobby pin works great)
Your first 3 rounds should measure 3.5″ across.
MC (magic circle) – view my tutorial here
SL ST (slip stitch)
SC (single crochet)
DC (double crochet)
SC+DC (single crochet and double crochet in same ST)
(1) This pattern is written in American Standard terms.
(2) This hat is worked in a continuous spiral until the very end. Do not join, chain or turn until instructed. Use a stitch marker to mark the first stitch of each round.
(3) The information above is only for the hat. The pattern for the flower can be found here. For the flower, I used the same brand of yarn and a G hook.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Make a magic circle, CH1.
Round 1: 12 DC in MC (12)
Round 2: 2 DC in each ST around (24)
Round 3: (2 HDC in next, 1 HDC in next) around (36)
Round 4: (2 HDC in next, 1 HDC in each of the next 2 STS) around (48)
Rounds 5: (2 HDC in next, 1 HDC in each of the next 3 STS) around (60)
Round 6: (2 HDC in next, 1 HDC in each of the next 4 STS) around (72)
Rounds 7-19: SC+DC in first ST, SK next ST. (SC+DC in next ST, SK next ST) around. (72)
Round 20: SC+DC in first ST, SK next ST. (SC+DC in next ST, SK next ST) around until only 2 STS remain. SC in next ST, SL ST in next (last) ST. (72)
Round 21: CH1. SC in same ST and in each ST around. Join to the first SC with a SL ST. (72)
Change to contrasting color if desired.
Round 22: CH1. SC in same ST and in each ST around. Join to the first SC with a SL ST. (72)
Fasten off and weave in all ends. Add an optional flower for a little more fun! Click here to see the pattern I used.