There are so many reasons I love earwarmers. I love wearing them on days when I want my hair up; but beyond that, they’re such a quick, easy crochet project! This one is particularly mindless because it’s simply rows of half double crochet in back loops only, and finished with a beautiful twist that’s much easier than it looks.
And, if you’re trying to build a craft fair inventory, earwarmers can be a great addition! (Tip: choose just a handful of styles, and work them up in several modern colors. They’re sure to sell!)
But whether you’re selling, making Christmas gifts, or just making yourself something to feel beautiful in, this pattern is for you.
You can follow along with me with this tutorial video, regardless of what size you are making! I put the pattern instructions right on screen so you can relax and go at your own pace. Be sure to subscribe, too!
Prefer a PDF?
This pattern is also available as an ad-free, printable PDF, which includes sizes toddler – adult! And if you love PDFs, you might want to check out my All Access Pass. It’s an awesome deal! (Or, scroll down for the free version.)
Simple Twisted Earwarmer
Finished Sizes: 17″ x 3.5″ (toddler), 18″ x 4″ (child), 20″ x 4.5″ (teen/adult small), 21″ x 4.5″ (adult large)
Hook: H (5.0 mm) or whichever hook is needed to obtain correct gauge
Yarn: Cascade Longwood Sport, a #3 weight yarn, in the following amounts: 80 yds (toddler), 90 yds (child), 110 yds (teen/adult small), 115 yds (adult large). Color used in sample is “Oatmeal”.
Gauge: 16 HDC (worked in BLO) x 12.5 rows = 4″ square
You’ll also need: yarn needle
Terms and Abbreviations:
HDC (half double crochet)
BLO (back loop only)
(1) This pattern is written in American Standard Terms.
(2) CH1s at the beginning of rows do not count as a stitch in the final stitch count.
(3) To resize earwarmer, your starting chain can be any number.
(4) Pattern is written for toddler size with additional sizes in brackets [child, teen/adult small, adult large]. So, for example, if it says “CH71 [75, 85, 89]”, the first number is for the toddler size, and the numbers in brackets are child, teen/adult small, and adult large instructions, respectively. If you are working from printed instructions, it helps to circle or highlight the numbers you are following before you begin.
To begin: CH69 [73, 81, 85].
Row 1: HDC in 2nd CH from hook and in each remaining CH. (68 [72, 80, 84])
Rows 2-12 [2-13, 2-14, 2-14]: CH1, turn. HDC in first ST. HDC in BLO of each of the next 66 [70, 78, 82] STS; 1 ST remains. HDC in both loops of final ST. (68 [72, 80, 84])
Fasten off, leaving a tail for seaming. Weave in starting tail only.
Seaming with a Twist
1. Thread the long finishing tail through your yarn needle and gently set it aside. Lay ear warmer flat, then gather the edges and layer them together as shown.
2. Thread the yarn needle across the edges, being sure to grab yarn from all four layers.
3. Continue to weave the yarn needle back and forth across the surface of the edges, being sure to grab yarn from all four layers each time.
4. Weave in the tail, then turn earwarmer right side out.
Done! If you’re sharing on social media, be sure to hashtag #simpletwistedearwarmer and tag me @yarnandchai.design. Stay warm out there!