Sometimes, you find a yarn that is just asking to do all the work for you.
That’s how I felt when I found Landscapes (by Lion Brand). The color changes were so gradual and pretty that I knew it was begging to become a simple hat with an eye-catching finish. I’m all about writing patterns that confident beginners can do, and this is one of those patterns!
To pull the colors of the hat into an organized look, I used two skeins of Landscapes: one in Metropolis (a gorgeous mix of silvery purple and black) for the body and one in coordinating Black for the ribbed band. That’s the great thing about Landscapes; it comes in an array of multi-colored (self-striping) hues, as well as coordinating solids.
I also picked up a black Lion Brand Pom, because I’d never used one before. I love how it all came together!
Prefer a PDF?
This pattern is also available as an ad-free, printable PDF! And if you love PDFs, you might want to check out my All Access Pass. It’s an awesome deal! (Or, scroll down for the free version!)
SOPHIA SLOUCH CROCHET PATTERN
One Size Fist Most (Preteen – Adult Woman).
Hat measures 9” across the bottom of the band, and is 10” tall (not including pom pom).
- I Hook (5.50mm) and G hook (4.25mm)
- Yarn needle
- 180 yards of Yarn A: Lion Brand Landscapes in a self-striping hue (sample shown in Metropolis) and about 40 yards of Yarn B: Lion Brand Landscapes in a coordinating solid hue (sample shown in Black). (Note: If using the recommended yarn, you’ll need to purchase 3 total skeins – two self-striping and one solid. If you instead choose to do the band of the hat in the same self-striping yarn, you can combine the total yardage and purchase just two skeins of that.)
- Stitch marker (a bobby pin works great)
- 1 Lion Brand Pom in coordinating color (optional)
With larger hook, 9 rows of 7 SC = 2″ square.
MC (magic circle) – view my tutorial here
SL ST (slip stitch)
SC (single crochet)
HDC (half double crochet)
BLO (back loop only)
(1) This pattern is written in American Standard terms.
(2) This hat is worked in a continuous spiral until the band. Do not join, chain or turn until instructed. Use a stitch marker to mark the first stitch of each round.
(3) The pom pom is optional.
(4) Because of the self-striping nature of the yarn, and the fact that we need to use more than 1 skein of it, be advised that you may have to pull some yarn out of the second skein in order to find the same color point that your current skein is at in the self-striping pattern. This is just the nature of multi-colored yarns.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Using larger hook, with Yarn A, make a magic circle.
Round 1: 10 HDC in MC (10)
Round 2: 2 HDC in each ST around (20)
Round 3: 2 HDC in each ST around (40)
Note: At this point, it’s going to start looking wavy. You’re doing it right! The back of the hat has a faux-cinched look to it, and this is how we achieve it. Once you get to the body of the hat, it will start to straighten itself out naturally.
Round 4: (2 HDC in next, 1 HDC in next) around (60)
Round 5: (2 HDC in next, 1 HDC in each of the next 2 STS) around (80)
Rounds 6-31: SC around (80)
Round 32: SC in each of the first 79 STS (all but the last ST), SL ST into final ST of the round (80)
Join Yarn B. Fasten off Yarn A.
Round 33: CH1. (SC2TOG, SC in each of the next 6 STS) around. Join to the top of the first SC2TOG with a SL ST. Do not fasten off; continue to instructions for Ribbed Band. (70)
Switch to smaller hook.
Next we’re going to make the band of the hat, and we will be working in vertical rows, attaching it to the final round of the hat with SL STS as we go.
Row 1: CH9. SC in 2nd CH from hook. SC in remaining 7 CHS. SL ST in next 2 STS of the hat. (8, plus the 2 SL STS at the base of the hat)
Row 2: CH1, turn. Skipping over the 2 SL STS, SC in BLO of each of the next 7 STS. SC in both loops of the last ST. (8)
Row 3: CH1, turn. SC in first ST. SC in BLO of each of the next 7 STS. SL ST in next 2 STS of the hat.
Repeat Rows 2-3 all the way around the hat (70 rows). Fasten off and use your tail to whip stitch the first and last rows together. Weave in all ends. Attach Lion Brand Pom (optional).